Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Bird Watching


Bird Watching (aka Birding)

Birding has many aspects and challenges. I began “Bird Watching” when my son saw articles about Christmas Bird Count (CBC) and Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) with eBird.org. He knew my love for nature and that I fed birds each winter. My initial response: “I don’t know about this.”

I gave it a try. I set up an account with eBird and started entering birds. I quickly found out there was not a listing for “red bird, blue bird, yellow like bird, etc.” How many blue-like birds are there anyway? What in the world is a “supercilium”? Again, my response: “I don’t know about this.”

After a few entries on eBird, I received a call. The person on the other end of the line identified himself as a member of a bird club. Without taking a breath, he asked me, “Who are you?”   My reply, “I’m Clancey Deel of Home Electric. How can I help you?” I answered while wondering what a bird club was. He went on trying to explain why he made the phone call and that he wanted to meet with me.  “What electrical problem are you having?” I asked. After a chuckle, he explained he wanted to talk to me about the bird entries I had been making.

Meeting with him, he explained that he had been monitoring my entries and some were exciting and some were not so good with major errors. After an hour of talking about nothing but birds, I promised I would work on my bird watching and “my entries”.

A year passed with several entries and just as many corrections.  Not only did I receive corrections from my bird expert, but from people that I had never seen or heard of. Because I was posting photos with the species, they could see that I “needed help”.  Boy, some of those guys can be tough. “The little yellow feather is out place for the specie you posted. ” What feathers are you talking about?” I knew my photo was not that good. How can you see a YELLOW feather?”  And….. just “Who are you, anyway?”

I was ready to give up on this project. I wanted something that allowed me to relax and enjoy my love of nature. A little later a challenge was given to me to research owls in Burkes Garden. To the relief of my expert, I spent the next year looking and listening for my nocturnal feathered friends. I was hooked. This “birding” thing is fun.

Since Tazewell County does not have an active bird club, I joined Buchanan County Bird Club (BCBC). My new mentors are members of that club.  Members have nearly 50 years of experience, each in the field of bird watching. Roger Mayhorn, Ed Talbott III, Dave Raines and Don Carrier are often called upon to ID birds for me. Daryl Owens, who has less than 10 years of experience in the field but 50+ years of knowledge, is a regular on my “to call” list. When I find a bird I cannot ID, my “yellow” bird photo, along with my thoughts, is sent.

My ability to see and to hear worsens with age and often gets in the way of my birding in the field.  Therefore I rely on my camera and the computer for a bird’s correct identification. I have decided not to allow finding many bird species or getting all the birds ID correctly to keep me from enjoying nature. You see, one can get hung up on getting a “lifer” or getting 500+ species in one’s life time (lifers) and thus miss out on the important things: being with nature (the Lord’s gift), helping with data that checks the health of our ecosystem and helping one’s own health (relaxing, walking trails, etc).

Finally, I am able to answer my own first question, “I DO know about this”.

Comments:

Daryl Owens Thanks for the kind words Clancey! It is certainly been a pleasure to become friends with you over the past few years and, as usual, you are much too modest! Clancey failed to relate that when he shares his “thoughts” that 9+ times out of 10 he already has it right!
Clancey Deel - Thanks, As usual you are the modest expert (experienced amateur)

Judy Wells Vass Alltizer Enjoyed reading this , Clancy ! Mike and myself have always liked bird watching , but , you sparked our interest to do even more ! And what fun we have had ! What beautiful birds we have found because of you ! You have been a great friend to us and mentor with " birding " ! Looking forward to getting started again after Christmas beginning on the first of the year with a trip to find some Sandhill Cranes ! Hope your health improves and looking forward to doing some birding with you in the new year !!!!
Clancey Deel - I hope you get to see the Whooping Cranes.

Don Carrier Clancy you have duplicated my story into birding and I have to say you are one of my favorite birders. We've all made mistakes but we keep going and I believe you have added more data that a I have to SW Virginia records. It's a pleasure to bird with you and history will remember you as a great contributor.
Clancey Deel - Don Carrier I'm the fortunate person to meet members of BCBC in Burkes Garden while they were checking out Golden Eagles. They invite me to join the club. It has been great experience meeting and making friends. Hope we will have a great year in 2020.

David Raines Hey Clancey, thanks for sharing your journey into birding. It's a great story and I appreciate your kind words. Wish we could bird together more often. You are definitely making a tremendous contribution to the birding community. May you always enjoy taking time for your studies!
Clancey Deel - David Raines I wrote the article to encourage someone to start birding and hopefully someone would start a club for Tazewell County simliar to BCBC (as you can see by the comments - great people)

Glen Eller You are a natural Clancey, keep up the good work. We need more "birders" like you.
Clancey Deel - Glen Eller You are a great person who encourages others. Hope you have a great Christmas!

Roger Mayhorn Clancy, I have really enjoyed being a part of your birding journey. It has been a pleasure to watch, as you have not only become very proficient at identifying birds, despite your physical problems, but to watch as you carved out a birding niche for yourself by taking on the gathering of much needed birding data in Tazewell County, especially in Burkes Garden. You have made many valuable contributions for that area by by remaining a dedicated birder, and by finding many species formerly unknown there. I look forward to more birding with you,and to have you once again join me to enjoy the birding during the fall migration at my place. Good health and good birding in this coming year.
Clancey Deel - Roger Mayhorn Thanks. I have the photo book.


Linda Weatherly Shroyer I would love for there to be an interest in a bird club in Tazewell again! I'm a terrible organizer unfortunately, but I'd be "in."

No comments:

Post a Comment